Monday, May 19, 2008

Mangrove Tunnels

Stalking Geiger Creek for tarpon. I watched a nice one shoot up one of the skinny tunnels that spur off of the main creek. Earlier that morning the tide was high and I wasn't able to get through them, but as the tide went out the tunnels became passable. I followed him in.





As the tunnel tightened I couldn't use the paddle so I just pushed off of the mangroves. Watching the water below as I passed, I saw the tarpon shoot back out right under the canoe: just like that he was gone. I kept going, no longer chasing the fish but instead just exploring.


It felt so secret. Instead of talking to myself like I always do when I fish, I was whispering. Eventually the creek kept going until it snarled up into an impassable mass of mangrove roots, and it was time to give up - and work my way out backwards.



Fishing, hunting, exploring - all great hobbies, even better when you can do them all at the same time.

No comments: