Monday, June 23, 2008

Movie: The Happening

I went to see The Happening this weekend, M. Night Shyamalan's latest effort. Hyped as his first R-rated film, I was hoping that it would make up for recent duds (in my opinion) like The Village and Signs. I made sure not to read any reviews before I went, just in case there was a trademark plot twist or some other reason that I'd benefit by remaining ignorant. Thankfully my friend didn't reveal to me the bad reviews she'd heard...

Anyway, I have one word to describe the movie: don'twasteyourmoney.

Maybe I was caught up in the hype, maybe I expected too much - or maybe it just sucked. The first half was pretty cool, mysterious and suspenseful as you try to figure out what's going on. The second half of the movie just dragged, and finally the end just sort of happens. No twist, and not even much of an explanation about what happened. It just ends. You ask "that's it??", and you get up and walk out wishing you had those 2 hours (and your $20) back.

Four thumbs down from us.

No comments: